Sunday, October 24, 2010

Money money money

So I've made it clear that I don't mission and I don't mine.  Heck I still can't do any missions above level 2s.  So how do I make the iskies?  I used to do a lot ninja salvage.  This had a double benefit.  It made me money and it really pissed off the mission runners! The problem was it was a lot of work and my probing skills sucked back then.  I would spend forever scanning mission runners down only to show up and find them gone.  Bah.

I got tired of barely scraping together enough to fit a couple of rifters so I did what any motivated player would do.  I cheated.  Well not really.  I just bought a couple of GTCs and sold them.  Every time I do it, I feel like I just entered a cheat code.

I seemed to be spending a lot of money on GTCs (curse you lack of PVP skills!) so I decided to try the market. I made an initial investment of a few GTCs and rolled a trader alt.  I trained this guy up on the necessary trading skills and seeded all my little extra account alts in the different trade hubs.  Then I spent a week or so doing price comparisons between all the major systems (Dodixie, Rens, Hek, Amarr, Jita and a few others).  I found that 90% of the items are cheaper in Jita.  On the other side, about 75% of things are most expensive either in Rens or Hek.  Dodixe (my trading base) was right in the middle of the price range.

Once every couple of weeks I send my minions out to the hubs and do price comparisons of dozens of items. These range from faction ammo to modules to rigs.  I can typically find price differences that can at least double or triple my profits.  Once I have the items I identified, I take my main trader toon to Jita, load up and dodge the gank squads as I travel to the appropriate systems.  I have not been ganked yet (knocks on wood) but now that I am able to fly a prowler, I feel pretty confident.  My mammoth did have some shaky moments though.

I try to keep most of my sell orders in Dodixie since that is where I base my trader/hauler alt.  Dodixie is fairly close to the Tusker HQ in Hevrice so I need quick access to there whenever I lose a ship that needs replacing.  If all the sell orders are in one place, it makes it easy for me to quickly log on and play the .01 game with sell orders.  I hate the .01 isk game.

This system works pretty well and I am now have a couple of billion isk in the bank.  This is cool because it lets me not worry about loot and ransoms so much.  I would much rather have the killmail.

No comments:

Post a Comment