Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Thrill of the Hunt

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Ernest Hemingway


I love the hunt in Eve.  It's unlike any other game I've played.  Sure I love to play Call of Duty or Counterstrike but those games are fast paced frantic things.  Someone runs in front of you, you kill them.  Then someone shoots you from behind.  You respawn and immediately die again.  It's fun but slightly mindless.

Eve is different. 

My favorite tactic is to zip my cloaky alt from system to system looking for targets.  Yesterday I had a very fun engagement.  I was in one of my favorite systems when I saw a Hurricane and a Cyclone on scan.  Probes were dropped and it was obvious that they were together.  I was in a Hurricane and was not sure if I could take both.  I warped my cloaked alt in and watched as they ran a plex.  

Well they were newer pilots and I was pretty sure they wouldn't be fitting a point if things went south.  So I warped my main in and landed right on the Cyclone.  In hindsight I should have targeted the cane first but I targeted the closest shipt first.

It didn't take long before I popped him  but I noticed the cane had moved a good distance away.  Then BOOM! Artillery from the cane started taking chunks out of me.  I was already in half shield from the fight with the cyclone and this first volly from the cane took me down to less than 25%.  I tried to close the gap but another volly took me into armor.  Since I was shield tanked, this was not a good thing and I still needed to close the distance.

I decided to cut and run in epic pirate fashion.  I felt pretty good about taking on 2 BCs, killing one, and living to tell about it.  It's not some epic uber rifter v drake kill but it was great fun and I felt a sense of satisfaction that I never get from other pvp games.

No comments:

Post a Comment